Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins
One of my favorite flavors of winter is definitely citrus. I rarely use oranges in the summer, but come November and December, I’m all about it. As soon as I started zesting my orange this morning to make these Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins, it instantly felt like Christmastime. (I know it’s still way early, but I always start getting a little excited for it by this time in the fall!) Growing up, we often made these muffins into bread and it was one of my favorite treats to have around Christmas.
One of the best things about these muffins is how bright and fresh the flavors are. The sweet orange is the perfect compliment to the tart, cranberries. A key factor in this recipe is using fresh cranberries instead of dried. There’s no added sugar and the flavor is so much more prominent. Cranberry season in Wisconsin goes through September and October, and since they’re commonly grown here, I was able to get a fresh bag at the local farmer’s market from Wetherby Cranberry Co.
Another bonus is that the only major allergen this recipe contains is wheat. Other that that, it’s free of eggs, dairy, soy, peanuts, and tree nuts, making it safe for vegans too!
Just as one more note, like I mentioned before Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins can be easily made into a quick bread as well. The only adjustment is cooking time, which becomes 55 minutes instead of 20. It’ll be delicious either way! I hope you give these a try–I’d love to hear your thoughts. Enjoy!
Other recipes you may enjoy:
- Vegan Blueberry Orange Bread
- Egg- Free Cranberry Orange Scones
- Orange-Raisin Irish Soda Bread
- Cranberry Orange Pecan Bread
Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Food processor
- Muffin pan
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Celtic sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp orange extract
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed orange juice about 2 oranges
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed freshly ground
- 3 Tbsp boiling water
- 1½ cups fresh cranberries coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 parchment liners.
- Place the cranberries in a food processor and chop for about 10 seconds. Scrape down the sides and chop again if needed. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flax and hot water to make an "egg". Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flax egg with the orange juice and coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and zest. After it is well mixed, add the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Gently fold in the chopped cranberries.
- Fill each space in the muffin pan about ⅔-¾ full with batter. Bake for 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
13 thoughts on “Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins”
Do vegans only use coconut oil?
Great question! As far as I know, vegans use any oil that is not derived from an animal product. Another substitute I like to use for oil is applesauce. I usually use it to replace canola oil which is highly processed.
You’re welcome! Happy blogging!
The muffins look very tempting 👍
Thank you!! 😊