Vegan Sweet-Potato Quinoa Salad
Vegan Sweet-Potato Quinoa Salad is one of my favorite winter dishes. It’s easy to pack for a healthy lunch and is an awesome side dish to bring to family gatherings. It combines sweet and savory elements and has plenty of with garlic and herb flavor. As an added bonus, quinoa is a complete protein to make this a nutrient-dense meal!
How to Make Vegan Sweet-Potato Quinoa Salad
To make Vegan Sweet-Potato Salad, preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment peper. Wash and cube the sweet potato and toss it with some olive oil, Celtic sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. Feel free to leave the skin intact. It’s a great way to increase fiber while also saving time on peeling. Spread the sweet potato on the pan in a single layer to ensure even roasting. After about 15 minutes, they should be slightly golden and tender when pierced with a fork. (You could also use butternut squash in place of sweet potato if you prefer.)
Meanwhile, put the quinoa and broth in a pot or saucepan. (To learn how to make your own broth, click here!) Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and let the quinoa simmer for roughly 10-15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. When it is done, it will be soft and fluffy with a visible germ ring.
While you’re waiting on the sweet potato and quinoa, start prepping the other ingredients. Chop the basil, cilantro, and scallions and set aside. Mince the garlic and wash and juice the lemon as well.
Then, add the garlic, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, and lemon juice to a small bowl and whisk. I prefer using dark maple syrup as opposed to amber because it has a richer, bolder flavor, but either will work. Adjust the amount of syrup based on your taste for sweetness.
When the sweet potato and quinoa are ready, put both in a large bowl. Add the cranberries, herbs, and onions and mix in the dressing. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy warm or cold–it’s delicious either way!
I hope you enjoy this Vegan Sweet-Potato Quinoa Salad! Be sure to leave a rating and review below and tag @roots_and_rosemary on any photos of your creations!
More Recipes to Try
- Spinach & Sweet Potato Curry
- Fall Harvest Couscous Salad
- Couscous Salad with Kale and Blueberries
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad & Ginger Tahini Dressing
Vegan Sweet-Potato Quinoa Salad
- 2 medium sweet potatoes cubed
- 1 cup dry quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cup reduced sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup scallions sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp fresh garlic minced
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Wash and cube the sweet potato and toss it with some olive oil. You can also add salt and pepper to taste if you wish.
- To make cleanup easier, put a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet before spreading the sweet potato on it. Make sure there is only one layer of potato cubes so that it roasts evenly. After about 15 minutes, they should be slightly golden and tender, but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, put the quinoa and broth in a pot or saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and let the quinoa simmer for roughly 10-15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. When it is done, it will be soft and fluffy and the germ ring of the grain will be visible.
- Chop the basil, cilantro, and scallions and set aside. Wash and juice the lemon as well.
- In a small bowl, add the garlic, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, and lemon juice and give it a good whisk.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, sweet potato, cranberries, onions, and herbs and mix in the dressing. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!