In today’s recipe, I’m going to combine aspects of two classic favorites: Lemon Raspberry Scones and Orange-Raisin Irish Soda Bread. Since cranberry orange everything is a must in the winter, I took the idea of orange-raisin (or in this case cranberry) from the soda bread and replaced lemon zest with orange zest and raspberries with cranberries in the scones. The results were delightful! These whole wheat, Egg-Free Cranberry Orange Scones are definitely a new winter favorite!
How to Make Egg-Free Cranberry Orange Scones
Start by preheating the oven to 350°F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest. Cut in the cold butter with a knife or use a cheese grater to shred it. Mix it in by hand or by using a pastry blender. Break up the butter until it is evenly distributed in pea-sized pieces throughout the flour mixture.
Then add Organic Valley buttermilk and orange extract. Use a wooden spoon to stir the ingredients until a sticky dough forms.
Turn out he dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a circle, roughly an inch high. Using a floured butter knife, cut the circle into eight even portions (more or less depending on big you like them).
Transfer each scone on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes. The tops should be slightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
I hope you enjoy these Egg-Free Cranberry Orange Scones! Let me know what you think in the comments below and tag @roots_and_rosemary in your Instagram photos!
More Recipes to Try
- Cranberry Orange Pecan Bread
- Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins
- Harvest Apple Cranberry Crisp
- Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Vegan Blueberry Orange Bread
- Irish Soda Scones
- Orange-Raisin Irish Soda Bread
Egg-Free Cranberry Orange Scones
- 2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (plus extra for kneading)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 7 Tbsp Irish butter (chilled)
- ¾ cup Organic Valley buttermilk
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest.
- Cut in the butter with a knife or cheese grater and mix it in using a pastry blender until it is evenly distributed in pea-sized pieces.
- Add the buttermilk and orange extract and mix the ingredients together until a sticky dough forms.
- Gently fold in the cranberries.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a circle, about an inch high.
- Using a floured butter knife, cut the circle into 8 even triangles and transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops are slightly golden. When a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, they are ready.