You can always tell when it’s spring in my family because that’s when we have the first Baked Spinach Asparagus Risotto. In fact there’s fresh, wild asparagus incorporated into nearly every dish. Asparagus was never something we would buy at the store when I was growing up since we always had so much of it growing around our property. Because of that, we only ate it seasonally, but we sure made the most out of asparagus season!
Sometimes we would just have it grilled or steamed with melted butter on top. Other times we would puree it into asparagus soup or add it to my mom’s famous veggie lasagna . But one of my favorite spring dishes has always been this Baked Spinach Asparagus Risotto.
During my time volunteering at Healthy Community Kitchens, I learned how to make authentic risotto. It was only then that I realized that this recipe technically isn’t true risotto. Risotto is actually one of those dishes that has to be very precise and takes some time to master. Last night I actually made a real risotto with spinach and mushroom so stay tuned for that recipe! For now, enjoy this simpler baked version that’s perfect for rushed weeknight dinners! Enjoy it as a main meal or side dish for fish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
Baked Spinach Asparagus Risotto
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice uncooked
- 8 cups spinach leaves about 4 oz
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg optional
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan divided
- 1 ½ cup asparagus diagonally sliced in 1 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add rice and mix well. Stir in spinach, broth, salt, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer and cook for 7 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese.
- Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Stir in asparagus and sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.