Even though it’s a week after Labor Day and the kids are back in school (myself included), there’ll still be plenty of nice weekends to cookout and have picnics. Blueberry Kale Couscous Salad is light and fresh and is the perfect side dish to any meal. Not only that, but it’s super quick and easy for those rushed evenings or Monday mornings, you need something fast and preferably healthy.
I adapted this recipe from Kristine’s Kitchen recipe: Kale Quinoa Salad with Blueberries. I’d definitely recommend checking out her blog. For my version of the salad, I swapped the quinoa for couscous, omitted the nuts, and went with queso fresco instead of goat cheese. Feta would also be a delicious cheese to try. Other substitutions you could make would be using spinach or Swiss chard instead of kale or adding some other fresh berries. To make this recipe vegan, omit the cheese altogether and use pure amber maple syrup instead of honey.
Related to Blueberry Kale Couscous Salad
Blueberry Kale Couscous Salad
- 1 cup Israeli pearl couscous (dry)
- 6 cups chopped kale (stems removed)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 oz queso fresco (crumbled)
- 1 diced avocado (optional)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook the couscous according to the package directions. Let cool and place it in a large bowl. Combine with the kale, blueberries, chickpeas, cheese, and avocado(if using).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well. Enjoy!