Vegan Nut-Free Granola
For those of us with food allergies, it can be really hard to find a nut-free granola. And if you’re avoiding animal products too, a vegan nut-free granola can be even tougher! Most anything on the store shelves, aside from a few “allergen free” brands is full of all sorts of tree nuts. Then again, when I look at the ingredient lists, I can’t help but think that maybe I’m better off not being able to have it at all. Although marketed as “health food”, granola is often chock full of sweeteners that hide in the labels. Things like brown rice syrup, tapioca syrup, barley malt syrup, and agave are all refined sugars, not to mention straight up cane sugar, brown sugar, and molasses.
When I set out to make this Vegan Nut-Free Granola, my top two criteria were no nuts and no refined sugar. Nuts are easily substituted with seeds and for sweeteners, I only use raw honey or pure maple syrup. (Of course if your goal is to avoid animal products, skip the honey and go with syrup instead.) Yes, these are still forms of sugar and should be used in moderation, but as far as sweeteners go, honey and maple syrup are natural and unrefined.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it is super adaptable! The ingredients I use are:
- Rolled oats
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Shredded coconut
- Maple syrup
- Coconut oil
That being said, there are so many ways to mix it up based on what you have in the pantry. Other seed options would be flax or chia seeds. For dried fruit, you could substitute cherries or blueberries, or anything else without added sugar. (That’s why I don’t recommend dried cranberries, but if you don’t mind the sugar or have some without, they’d work great too.) Spices can be adjusted or swapped according to your flavor preferences and once the granola is cool, you could even add in a few mini dark chocolate chips. So go ahead, make it your own, and enjoy!
Similar Recipes You May Like:
Vegan Nut-Free Granola
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup raw flax seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- ¼ cup raw honey or pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup unsweetened dried fruit
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix the oats, spices, and salt. Then add the seeds and coconut. When the dry ingredients are well combined, add the honey or syrup and coconut oil.
- Spread the granola evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Take out the pan and gently turn over the granola with a wooden spoon. At this time, you can add the dried fruit.
- Bake for another 15 minutes, then remove from oven allow it cool and harden. Break up any big pieces and store in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Enjoy!