Chicken & Brown Rice Soup
Nourishing Comfort Food
If you’re feeling kind of sick and under the weather…or just sick of the winter weather, Chicken & Brown Rice Soup is the perfect pick-me-up! A couple weeks ago, the day after my horse accident, I was extremely tired–not like my usual spunky self. Naturally, when considering what to make for dinner, my first instinct was this recipe. It’s really easy, making it a great solution when you aren’t in the mood to make an elaborate seven course meal.
Another great benefit to Chicken & Brown Rice Soup is that it is incredibly healthy. Unlike other comfort foods like mac ‘n cheese or mashed potatoes, this soup features whole grains, lean protein, fresh veggies, and nourishing bone broth. You really can’t go wrong!
Why Choose Bonafide Provisions?
Instead of conventional chicken broth, I chose to use Bonafide Provisions Organic Chicken Bone Broth. Bonafide goes out of their way to ensure you get the most nutritious, high-quality broth possible. All their products are organic and they never use fillers–just real bones. The broths are loaded with collagen, giving them their signature thick consistency and they are frozen fresh instead packaged in a box. I could keep going on all the reasons I love Bonafide, but I know you’d also like to get to a recipe today. To read more about what makes Bonafide such an awesome broth to use, follow the link here!
If you’re in a hurry, note that the chicken brine is optional. If you have the time though, I definitely recommend it because it makes the chicken extra tender. Also, if you have leftover chicken or a rotisserie on hand, that works great too!
The first time I made this, I used black wild rice. It works great and tastes like any other, but don’t be alarmed when the broth…and chicken turn purple!
Pairings for Chicken & Brown Rice Soup
- Artisan Bread
- Buttermilk Chive Biscuits
- Couscous Salad with Kale and Blueberries
- Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad
Chicken & Brown Rice Soup
- 1 lb organic, free range chicken breasts
- 2-3 cups warm water for brine
- 1 Tbsp salt for brine
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 carrots peeled
- 3 branches celery
- 3 pints Bonafide Provisions Organic Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown or wild rice uncooked
- Fresh thyme, rosemary, and parsley to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, dissolve 1 Tbs of salt in 2-3 cups of warm water–enough to cover the chicken. Place the chicken in the bowl and set aside for 30 minutes to brine.
- Meanwhile, dice the onion, mince the garlic, and chop the carrots and celery.
- Remove the chicken from the bowl and cut into bit sized pieces. Heat half the olive oil in a skillet and add the chicken. Fricassee until cooked through (165°F in the center).
- In a large pot, add the rest of the olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and herbs. Saute for 5-10 minutes until the onions become translucent and the other veggies slightly soften.
- Add the Bonafide Provisions Organic Chicken Bone Broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add the chicken and rice. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.