Potato salad is such a classic summer food. It’s the perfect side dish for cookouts and can incorporate so many fresh herbs you can grow yourself. All around, it’s really just a delicious way to eat potatoes. But if you’re a vegan or can’t have eggs, then this option is almost always out. Unless, of course, you swap out regular mayonnaise or a vegan version! That’s what I did in my Tangy Vegan Potato Salad and even non-vegans love it!
There are a lot of vegan options for mayonnaise these days, but they are very expensive and overly processed. Thankfully, it’s very easy to make at home and only takes five minutes and some simple ingredients. All you need is aquafaba, mustard, sea salt, apple cider vinegar, honey (or amber maple syrup), and avocado oil. I’ve included my recipe below that I adapted from Minimalist Baker
Herbs and Spices
The herbs and spices in this Tangy Vegan Potato Salad are very customizable. Personally, I feel that the dill and chives are nonnegotiable, but you can also experiment with parsley, scallions, lemon, or any other favorites. Instead of using individual spices, you could also use your favorite blend of herbs such as this Organic Italian Seasoning from Thrive Market.
I hope you enjoy this Tangy Vegan Potato Salad! It’s very simple and a definite crowd-pleaser for your next summer barbecue. I’d love to hear what you do to make it your own or if you have any other favorite potato salad ingredients in the comment below!
Other Salads to Try
- Blueberry Kale Couscous Salad
- Avocado Feta Chickpea Salad
- Fall Harvest Couscous Salad
- Vegan Sweet-Potato Quinoa Salad
Tangy Vegan Potato Salad
- 2 lbs organic potatoes
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 ½ Tbsp mustard
- 2 stalks organic celery (chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh dill (chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh chives (chopped)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp Hungarian paprika
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, scrub the potatoes, leaving the skin intact.
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until they are easily pierced with a fork.
- Transfer the potatoes to a cutting board and cut into bite sized pieces. Place them in a bowl and refrigerate until the potatoes are cool.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mayo, mustard, and dry spices. Pour it onto the potatoes and mix well. Finally add the celery, dill, and chives. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Homemade Egg-Free Mayonnaise
- Immersion blender
- ¼ cup aquafaba
- ½ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1 Tbsp honey (or amber maple syrup if vegan)
- ½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup avocado oil
- Add the aquafaba, mustard, honey, salt, and apple cider vinegar to a wide mouth jar.
- Insert the immersion blender and blend on high speed for 30 seconds. The mixture should turn white and frothy.
- Gradually add the avocado oil with the blender still running. Continue blending for another minute or two until the mayo thickens. Don't worry if it's not as thick as regular mayo yet.
- The mayo can be used right away if needed, but it will thicken up more after a couple hours in the refrigerator.