Fall baking is officially underway! A few weeks ago, I made a Chai Tea Latte Cake (recipe coming soon) and just pulled a Pecan Pear Crisp out of the oven. But today, I wanted to share an old favorite of mine–Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins!
If you’re sick and tired of the constant “pumpkin spice” everything, this recipe can freshen up your fall baking repertoire. Of course it has the fall flavors of sweet potato and cranberry, but to spice it up, I swapped chai tea in place of milk. This also makes the recipe vegan because the sweet potato acts as an egg substitute to keep the muffins moist and bound together.
For the perfect chai flavor, I recommend using Neccessi-Tea by Arteasana. The loose leaf blend is organic and filled with delicious spices and cardamom. It’s a wonderful addition to baked goods and can also be enjoyed on its own or in a chai tea latte.
Just like all my other breads and muffins, I used whole wheat pastry flour in this recipe. Instead of oil, I used unsweetened applesauce, making these Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins whole grain and fat free! I also reduced the sugar by nearly half of the original recipe to make it a more wholesome breakfast option.
How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins
Although you can certainly use sweet potato puree from a can for this recipe, I always prefer making my own. All you have to do is poke a sweet potato several times with a fork, put it on a baking sheet, and bake for about 45 minutes at 400 degrees. When it is easily pierced with a fork, let it cool, peel it, and puree it in a food processor until no lumps remain.
The remainder of the recipe is quite straightforward. Simply whisk the flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the tea with the sweet potato, applesauce, and vanilla. Add the wet to the dry and stir until it just comes together. Be sure not to over-mix! Gently fold in the cranberries and fill the muffin cups. To make 12 muffins, fill them 2/3 full, but to make 10 larger muffins, fill the cups to the top. Bake for about 20 minutes at 375 degrees and you’ll have the perfect Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins! Enjoy!
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- Baking powder
- Celtic sea salt
- Sweet potato
- Arteasana Neccessi-Tea
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Dried cranberries
Vegan Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup sucanat
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp Celtic sea salt
- ½ cup chai tea strong brewed
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash the sweet potato and poke it several times with a fork.
- Place the potato on a baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes or until it is easily pierced with a fork. Set aside to let cool. (Meanwhile, skip ahead and prepare the dry ingredients.)
- Scoop out 1 cup of sweet potato from the skin and place in a food processor. Pulse the potato until it is smooth and no lumps remain.
- Reduce oven heat to 375°F and line a muffin pan with 10-12 liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sucanat, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sweet potato, chai tea, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Gently fold in the dried cranberries.
- Fill the muffin cups ⅔ full for 12 muffins or completely full for 10.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Larger muffins make take a couple minutes more.