Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins
Fall baking is officially underway! A few weeks ago, I made a Chai Tea Latte Cake and just pulled a Pecan Pear Crisp out of the oven. But today, I wanted to share an old favorite of mine–Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins!
Though I never get tired of pumpkin spice, I know many people do, so this recipe can freshen up your fall baking repertoire. The warm spices with tart cranberries and rich sweet potato are the perfect combination for something a little different. The sweet potato also acts as the egg substitute, so you don’t have to worry about making a flax egg or having aquafaba on hand.
Just like all my other breads and muffins, I used whole wheat pastry flour in this recipe. Instead of vegetable oil, I used melted coconut oil which is a much healthier oil. I also reduced the sugar by nearly half of the original recipe and used sucanat instead of refined white sugar.
What do I need to make Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins
Here’s a list of all the ingredients you’ll need:
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- Baking powder
- Celtic sea salt
- Sweet potato purée
- Whole milk
- Coconut oil
- Pure vanilla extract
- Dried cranberries
How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins
Although you can certainly use sweet potato puree from a can for this recipe, I always prefer making my own. All you have to do is poke a sweet potato several times with a fork, put it on a baking sheet, and bake for about 45 minutes at 400 degrees. When it is easily pierced with a fork, let it cool, peel it, and puree it in a food processor until no lumps remain.
The remainder of the recipe is quite straightforward. Simply whisk the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine the milk with the sweet potato, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Add the wet to the dry and stir until it just comes together. Be sure not to over-mix! Gently fold in the cranberries and fill the muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for about 20 minutes at 375 degrees and you’ll have the perfect Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins!
I hope you enjoy these Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins! Be sure to leave a rating below and let me know what you think in the comments. Happy baking!
More Muffin Recipes to Try
- Chocolate Banana Rye Muffins
- Banana Date Muffins
- Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Pumpkin and Pepita Muffins
- Spiced Banana Rum Muffins
Sweet Potato Cranberry Muffins
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup sucanat
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1 cup sweet potato purée*
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ½ tsp cinnamon extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a muffin tin with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sucanat, baking powder, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sweet potato, milk, coconut oil, and cinnamon extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the dried cranberries.
- Fill each space in the muffin pan ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan and placing on a cooling rack.