One of our new favorite recipes this winter has been Hearty Vegan Vegetable Soup. It’s creamy, flavorful and loaded with healthy veggies. It’s sure to warm you up from the inside out. Perfect for chilly January days, this vegan dish will soon be one of your favorites too! If the “vegan” label has you skeptical–trust me, you’d never know if I didn’t say anything. This recipe is one that carnivores will love too!
I first got the inspiration from this recipe from Little Spice Jar’s Soul Warming Creamy Hungarian Mushroom Soup. It’s a great recipe as is, but it was kind of heavy on the mushrooms for my taste. I love the flavor they add, but the texture isn’t my favorite, so I like to use them sparingly. Instead of a half pound of mushrooms, I used about a quarter of that and added tons of other veggies such as carrots, celery, potatoes, and spinach. I also wanted to make this soup vegan and Daniel Fast compliant, so I swapped olive oil for butter, veggie broth for chicken stock, and reduced fat coconut milk for half and half. Coconut milk might sound like a weird addition, but I promise it won’t make it taste like it. It just adds that creamy goodness without using dairy. I also omitted the crème fraiche at the end, but it would be a good addition if animal products are not a concern for you. Non-fat Greek yogurt is a good, healthy alternative to crème fraiche.
After all the additions and substitutions, the resulting soup I got was this Hearty Vegan Vegetable Soup. It’s very easy to make and will only take about an hour! Serve it with a warm slice of Crusty Artisan Bread drizzled with olive oil to complete the meal. Enjoy!
Hearty Vegan Vegetable Soup
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2½ oz baby bella mushrooms (chopped)
- ½ medium red onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 2 medium potatoes (scrubbed and diced)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp mushroom powder
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp low sodium tamari
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 cup reduced fat coconut cream
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- In a stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until they are soft and translucent. Then add the carrots, celery, potatoes, and mushrooms.
- Add the dill, thyme, and paprika and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Then add the garlic and mushroom powder. and mix well.
- Next, add the veggie broth, tamari, and lemon juice and stir well. Bring the pot to a boil before turning the heat down to medium-low to let the soup simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk the whole wheat flour and reduced fat coconut cream together in a small bowl.
- After the soup has been simmering for at least five minutes, add the flour/coconut mixture and stir it into the pot. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the veggies are soft and the soup has thickened.
- Add the spinach and cook until it wilts. Remove soup from heat and stir in fresh parsley.