With the Fricke Farmhouse came lots of wild berry bushes. I was thrilled as I walked around the property this spring to find black raspberries all over in the woods and prairie. A few weeks ago, they were coming at an astonishing rate and I could hardly keep up with the baking, jam making, and freezing. I have a good stockpile in the freezer now, so when winter comes around, I can still make these Gluten-Free Lemon Lavender Scones with Black Raspberries!
Fresh Summer Berries
When choosing berries for Gluten-Free Lemon Lavender Scones, there are lots of options. I used black raspberries because I have tons of them growing wild at home. Blueberries, red raspberries, or black berries would all work too. If possible, opt for local, organic berries for the best taste and most nutrition.
Gluten-Free and Low FODMAP
Although this recipe is gluten-free, if gluten is not an issue for you, it’s super easy to use wheat flour instead. Simply omit the garbanzo flour, rice flour, tapioca starch, and xanthan gum and use two cups of whole wheat pastry flour instead.
In addition to being gluten-free, these lemon lavender scones are also low in FODMAPS (fermentable oligo- di- monosaccharides, and polyols). FODMAPS aren’t inherently bad (in fact many high FODMAP foods are really healthy), but as the name suggests, they ferment easily in the gut and can cause some unpleasant symptoms in sensitive individuals. By avoiding wheat and using lactose free dairy, these little treats shouldn’t cause any trouble. If you aren’t lactose intolerant, feel free to use regular milk and yogurt.
Organic Valley Dairy
As always, I love using Organic Valley dairy products. Their lactose free milk is a staple for me both in baking and for my favorite overnight oats. Their pasture-raised, cultured butter is also phenomenal. Butter is an identifying ingredient in scones, so it’s best to use the highest quality available.
Organic Valley doesn’t offer yogurt, so my go-to, lactose free brand is Green Valley Creamery. All of their products are lactose-free by the addition of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down milk sugar). They are also organic, and therefore another great source for low-FODMAP dairy.
How to Make Gluten-Free Lemon Lavender Scones
To make the scones, start by mixing the milk and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside. This will essentially make buttermilk, so if you have some on hand, you can skip this step and use it instead. I usually make my own since I don’t keep buttermilk stocked in my fridge, but I always have milk and apple cider vinegar.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk garbanzo bean flour, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and Celtic sea salt. Mix the lemon zest and lavender throughout.
Then, use a cheese grater to shred the cold butter into the dry ingredients. You can also cut it in with a knife, but I find grating to be much faster and it makes the butter easier to incorporate. Use your hands to mix it in until the butter is broken into pea-sized pieces and is evenly distributed. In a separate bowl, whisk the yogurt, maple syrup, and lemon extract with the buttermilk mixture. Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry and use a wooden spoon or spatula to combine. Gently fold in the berries.
Scoop the dough in 1/3 cup quantities onto the baking sheet. If you prefer to have triangular scones, turn out the dough on a well-floured surface and form it into a disk. The dough is rather wet and sticky, so you’ll need to add some extra flour as you go. Then slice the disk into 8-10 sections and transfer them to the baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I hope you enjoy these Gluten-Free Lemon Lavender Scones! Let me know what you think in the comments below and share your creations on Instagram and tag @roots_and_rosemary.
More Scones to Try
- Irish Soda Scones
- Spiced Date Scones with Browned Butter Glaze
- Mocha Chocolate Chip Scones
- Egg-Free Cranberry Orange Scones
- Pumpkin Scones & Maple-Nutmeg Glaze
- Glazed Lemon Raspberry Scones
- Egg-Free Triple Chocolate Scones
Gluten-Free Lemon Lavender Scones with Black Raspberries
- 3 Tbsp Organic Valley whole milk (lactose free)
- ¼ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1½ tsp fresh lavender (finely chopped)
- 7 Tbsp Organic Valley salted butter (chilled)
- ¾ cup plain whole milk yogurt (lactose free)
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1½ tsp lemon extract
- 1 cup black raspberries
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for about 10 minutes to allow it to make buttermilk.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix both flours, starch, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, lavender, and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Use a cheese grater to grate the butter into the bowl. Use your hands to mix the butter with the dry ingredients until it is distributed evenly throughout.
- In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt, maple syrup, and lemon extract. Add the "buttermilk" and combine with the dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the berries.
- Scoop the dough in 1/3 cup quantities onto the baking sheet.* Bake for about 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.