Triple Chocolate Scones
Triple Chocolate Scones are so rich and delicious, you’d never know there aren’t any eggs! These decadent pastries feature cocoa, chocolate milk, and dark chocolate chips. They’re mildly sweet and pair nicely with a frothy glass of milk or steaming cup of coffee. You can find the recipe below or purchase it in a recipe bundle with in my Etsy shop here!
Here’s a list of all the ingredients you’ll need to make some amazing Triple Chocolate Scones:
- Ground flaxseed
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Celtic sea salt
- Salted Irish butter (chilled)
- Pure maple syrup
- Organic Valley chocolate milk
- Pure vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate chips
How to Make Triple Chocolate Scones
The first step to make Triple Chocolate Scones is making an “egg” with ground flax seed and hot water. Bring three tablespoons of water to a boil and whisk it with one tablespoon of ground flax seed in a medium sized bowl. Then set the mixture aside and preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Use a cheese grater to shred the cold butter. Then, use a pastry blender (or your hands) to distribute the butter throughout the dough. When it is ready, the butter should be broken into pea-sized pieces.
Next, add the maple syrup, chocolate milk and vanilla to the “egg” and whisk it well. Then pour all the liquid into the dry ingredients. Be sure to use chocolate milk with no high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors such as Organic Valley.
Stir the ingredients the best you can–it can be a little tough since scones are dry by nature. Again, you may need to knead the dough with your hands. Once everything is mixed, fold in one cup of dark chocolate chips.
Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a circle, about one inch thick. Then use a sharp knife to cut it into eight pieces and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake the scones for about 12-14 minutes. When you think they are done, test them with a toothpick. It should come out clean with the exception of melted chocolate. After a few minutes, place the scones on a cooling rack.
I hope you enjoy these Triple Chocolate Scones! Be sure to leave a rating below and let me know what you think in the comments. Happy baking!
More Scones to Try
- Irish Soda Scones
- Mocha Chocolate Chip Scones
- Egg-Free Cranberry Orange Scones
- Pumpkin Scones & Maple Nutmeg Glaze
- Glazed Lemon Raspberry Scones
Triple Chocolate Scones
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp hot water
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
- ⅓ cup salted Irish butter chilled
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup Organic Valley chocolate milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the flax and hot water to make an egg substitute. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or with a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Use a cheese grater to shred in the butter and work it into the dough using a pastry blender. Then, use your hands to make sure all the butter is evenly distributed and there are no large pieces left.
- Add the maple syrup, chocolate milk, and vanilla to the flax mixture and whisk them together.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the large bowl and stir until the ingredients come together. Again, you may have to use your hands to knead the dough since scones are by nature a little dry.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface and pat it into a circle, about one inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the circle into eight triangular scones and transfer them to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean when they are done with the exception of some melted chocolate.