Homemade Lemon Garlic Hummus
This smooth, creamy Homemade Lemon Garlic Hummus is fresh and flavorful while also being very easy to make! The chickpea and tahini base is full of spices like cumin and paprika with plenty of tangy lemon and garlic for extra flavor. Use it as a dip for fresh veggies, spread it on homemade pita bread, or pair it with crispy falafel!
Here is everything you’ll need to make an amazing batch of Homemade Lemon Garlic Hummus:
- Canned chickpeas (one can)
- The Spice House Cumin
- The Spice House Paprika
- The Spice House Dill Weed
- Olive oil
- Celtic sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
How to Make Homemade Lemon Garlic Hummus
It may sound tedious, but homemade hummus is actually quite simple and way better than store bought! You can also adjust the spices and flavors to your personal preference.
The first time or two that I made my own hummus, it was coarse and dry. Then I learned the method of boiling chickpeas in baking soda and removing the skins. Although it made great hummus, it was very time consuming. (And that’s coming from someone who makes all food from scratch!) Then I discovered Instant Pot hummus from Half Baked Harvest, and it totally changed everything. All you need is an Instant Pot and a food processor and it is so creamy without all the fuss!
Start by emptying a can of chickpeas (with the liquid) into your Instant Pot. Close the lid, turn the vent to “sealing” mode, and cook on high pressure for ten minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, and dill. If possible, use whole cumin seeds and grind them fresh in a mortar and pestle.
When the time is up on the Instant Pot, release the pressure and drain the chickpeas. Be sure to save the cooking water! Transfer the chickpeas to a food processor with a quarter cup of the cooking liquid. Puree until smooth. Then add the tahini mixture and continue to blend until the ingredients are combined and creamy. Add Celtic sea salt and pepper to taste.
How to Serve Homemade Lemon Garlic Hummus
There are so many ways to serve Homemade Lemon Garlic Hummus. Here’s a list of my favorite uses:
- Use it as a dip for chopped veggies such as cucumber, carrots, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, or celery or with pita bread/chips
- Spread it on the inside of a pita pocket and stuff it with veggies and chicken for a wholesome sandwich.
- Serve alongside falafel.
- Spread it on naan for a base for Mediterranean Flatbreads
I hope you enjoy this Homemade Lemon Garlic Hummus! Let me know what you think in the comments below and be sure to leave a rating. Happy cooking!
More Mediterranean Recipes to Try
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad & Ginger Tahini Dressing
- Greek Spinach Pie
- Three-Cheese Mediterranean Flatbreads
- Falafel with Pita & Tzatziki
Homemade Lemon Garlic Hummus
- Instant Pot
- Food processor
- 1 can chickpeas with liquid
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp olive oil herb infused
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ tsp cumin freshly ground
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp dill dried
- Celtic sea salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the entire can of chickpeas (with the liquid) into the Instant Pot. Close the lid, turn the vent to sealing mode, and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, paprika, and dill.
- When the time is up, release the pressure, oven the Instant Pot, and drain the chickpeas. Reserve the liquid!
- Transfer the chickpeas to a food processor and add ¼ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Grind until smooth and creamy. Then add the tahini mixture and continue processing until the ingredients are fully combined and smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste before transferring to a serving dish. Serve with fresh veggies, pita bread, or alongside any Mediterranean dish such as falafel.