Andes Candies Cookies
Sharing is caring!
Hi everyone! I hope you all enjoyed a joyous Christmas this past week! If you’re like me and LOVE Christmas and never want it to end, here’s a classic Christmas cookie recipe to keep the festivities going: Andes Candies Cookies!
These soft little cookies are rich and chocolaty with a lovely mint twist on top. As an added bonus, (assuming the batch doesn’t disappear instantly 😉 ) they can even be used for a crust in my Egg-Free Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake! Since I planned to make said cheesecake for the Utke family Christmas last Sunday, I got together with my sister, Lauren (from Lauren and the Foreign), the week prior for a little baking extravaganza.
To make Andes Candies Cookies egg-free, I use cream cheese as a substitute. It’s not the most universal egg replacement, but it sure seems to work well in cookies by binding the dough and making it nice and rich. I also used Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips which are free from the most common allergens.
After melting the butter, sugar, and water on the stove, I stirred in the chocolate until it melted. I allowed it to cool for a few minutes before mixing in the cream cheese, baking soda, salt, and flour. Then I covered the dough and allowed it to chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
The chilling can reduce spread when baking and can help for rolling the dough into balls. Personally, I prefer making little cookies, so I made my dough balls no bigger than a ping-pong ball. Also, if you want to have thinner cookies than the ones pictured below, you could press down the dough before baking.
Right after the cookies come out of the oven, top each one with half of an Andes mint. As it starts to melt, take a small offset spatula or the back of a spoon and swirl the chocolate around. If you make larger cookies, you’ll likely want to use a full mint per cookie. After about 10 minutes, the cookies can be transferred to a cooling rack as the chocolate hardens. Enjoy!
- CHEWY CHOCOLATE GINGER COOKIES
- SPICED BANANA RUM COOKIES
- DARK CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT CHEESECAKE
- EGGLESS CREME BRÛLÉE COOKIES
- HOMEMADE HOT CHOCOLATE FOR TWO
- PINOT NOIR CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
Andes Candies Cookies
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the brown sugar and water.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted and smooth. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the chocolate mixture and keep beating until just combined. Don't over mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk the baking soda, salt, and flour. Slowly add it to the mixer on low speed.
- When all the ingredients come together, chill the dough for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Roll the dough into balls, about 1½ inches in diameter and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately top each cookie with one half of an Andes mint. As each one melts, swirl it around with the back of a spoon or a small offset spatula.
- Allow cookies to rest on the baking sheet at least five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy!