Egg-Free Cornbread Muffins
A good cornbread goes a long way. Pair it with soup, chili, salads, meat or really any main dish and it will be delicious. Or it can be enjoyed on it’s own with a little butter, honey, and some fresh fruit. The possibilities are endless and that’s why I’m sharing my favorite recipe for Egg-Free Cornbread Muffins. This is a super easy recipe that comes together in just over 30 minutes, making it ideal for quick, weeknight dinners.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Egg-Free Cornbread Muffins:
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- Baking powder
- Pure maple syrup
- Whole milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Avocado oil
If you don’t have some of the ingredients on hand, there are plenty of substitutions that will work instead. First, if you don’t have brown sugar, use white instead and add some molasses.
Aquafaba is one of my favorite egg replacements, but a flax egg would work too. Whisk two tablespoons of ground flaxseed with six tablespoons of hot water to make the two “eggs” needed in this recipe.
For milk, I usually don’t have buttermilk on hand, so I mix skim milk with apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice). However, regular buttermilk could be used instead to keep it simple. I haven’t tried this recipe with plant based milk, but it would be a good option to make this recipe vegan.
If you do want to make Egg-Free Cornbread Muffins vegan, use melted coconut oil or avocado oil instead of melted butter.
How to Make Egg-Free Cornbread Muffins
Start by preheating the oven to 400°F and line a muffin tin with 12 parchment liners.
In a medium bowl, mix the milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for about 5-10 minutes. Skip this step if using regular buttermilk.
Then, in a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. When the “buttermilk” starts to curdle, add the aquafaba, maple syrup and avocado oil. Whisk to combine. Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl and mix everything together with a wooden spoon.
Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Each one should be about ⅔ full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for ten minutes before turning the Egg-Free Cornbread Muffins out onto a cooling rack. Serve with butter and honey, jam, or maple syrup. Enjoy!
More Muffin Recipes to Try
Egg-Free Cornbread Muffins
- Muffin pan
- 1 cup Organic Valley whole milk
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp Celtic sea salt
- 6 Tbsp aquafaba
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a muffin pan with 12 parchment liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix the milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for about 5-10 minutes to make buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- When the “buttermilk” starts to curdle, add the aquafaba, maple syrup and avocado oil. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl and mix everything together with a wooden spoon.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Each one should be about ⅔ full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for ten minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
6 thoughts on “Egg-Free Cornbread Muffins”
such a lovely picture!!!