Orange-Raisin Irish Soda Bread
Orange-Raisin Irish Soda Bread is a light, buttery bread bursting with juicy raisins. The unexpected orange essence gives it a lovely mild sweetness. Enjoy it with some Irish butter and a hot cup of tea for the perfect springtime treat!
What do I need to make Orange-Raisin Irish Soda Bread?
- Ground flax seed (and hot water)
- Organic Valley whole milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Celtic sea salt
- Orange zest
- Irish butter
- Raw honey
How do I make Orange-Raisin Irish Soda Bread?
To make Orange-Raisin Irish Soda Bread, start by preheating the oven to 375°F. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. I prefer using the mats because they are reusable and less wasteful.
In a small bowl, whisk the milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for ten minutes to make buttermilk. If you happen to have buttermilk on hand, feel free to skip this step and use that instead. Then whisk with the flax seed and hot water in another small bowl. Set aside for five minutes. This will make an egg substitute.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom, and orange zest. Cut in the butter and combine it with the other ingredients using a pastry blender. It should be broken into pea-sized pieces and be evenly spread throughout the dough.
In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk, flax egg, and honey. Then add the mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in the raisins.
Transfer the mixture to a lightly floured surface. Knead until it forms a nice dough that is not too sticky. Shape the dough into around loaf and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
With a sharp knife or bread lame cut an “X” in the center of the loaf, being sure to cut all the way to the edges. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I hope you enjoy this Orange-Raisin Irish Soda Bread! Be sure to leave a rating below and let me know what you think in the comments. Happy baking!
More Recipes to Try
- Vegan Blueberry Orange Bread
- Egg- Free Cranberry Orange Scones
- Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Irish Soda Scones
- Vegan Amish Oatmeal Bread
- Cranberry Orange Pecan Bread
Orange-Raisin Irish Soda Bread
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the ground flaxseed and hot water in a small bowl. Set aside for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cardamom, and orange zest.
- Use a cheese grater to shred the cold butter into the bowl. Use a pastry blender to incorporate it into the other ingredients until it is broken into pea-sized pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk, flax mixture, and honey. When it is well mixed, stir it into the dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the raisins.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. If it is too sticky to work with, add more flour.
- Shape the dough into a round loaf and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet.
- With a sharp knife or bread lame, cut an "X" in the center of the loaf, being sure to all the way to the edges.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!