Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad is one of my favorite winter dishes. It’s easy to pack for a healthy lunch and is an awesome side dish to bring to family gatherings. It combines sweet and savory elements and has plenty of garlic and herb flavor. As an added bonus, quinoa is a complete protein to make this a nutrient-dense meal!
How to Make Vegan Sweet-Potato Quinoa Salad
To make Vegan Sweet-Potato Salad, preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment peper. Wash and cube the sweet potato and toss it with some olive oil, Celtic sea salt, and freshly ground pepper. Feel free to leave the skin intact. It’s a great way to increase fiber while also saving time on peeling. Spread the sweet potato on the pan in a single layer to ensure even roasting. After about 15 minutes, they should be slightly golden and tender when pierced with a fork. (You could also use butternut squash in place of sweet potato if you prefer.)
Meanwhile, put the quinoa and broth in a pot or saucepan. (To learn how to make your own broth, click here!) Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and let the quinoa simmer for roughly 10-15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. When it is done, it will be soft and fluffy with a visible germ ring.
While you’re waiting on the sweet potato and quinoa, start prepping the other ingredients. Chop the basil, cilantro, and scallions and set aside. Mince the garlic and wash and juice the lemon as well.
Then, add the garlic, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, and lemon juice to a small bowl and whisk. I prefer using dark maple syrup as opposed to amber because it has a richer, bolder flavor, but either will work. Adjust the amount of syrup based on your taste for sweetness.
When the sweet potato and quinoa are ready, put both in a large bowl. Add the cranberries, herbs, and onions and mix in the dressing. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy warm or cold–it’s delicious either way!
I hope you enjoy this Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad! Be sure to leave a rating and review below and tag @roots_and_rosemary on any photos of your creations!
More Recipes to Try
- MEDITERRANEAN COUSCOUS WITH TOMATOES & ASPARAGUS
- GREEK GARDEN QUINOA SALAD
- MEDITERRANEAN QUINOA SALAD & GINGER TAHINI DRESSING
- CURRIED SQUASH & COUSCOUS SALAD
- BLUEBERRY KALE COUSCOUS SALAD
Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
- 2 medium unpeeled sweet potatoes cubed
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa dry
- 1½ cups bone broth or veggie
- ½ cup dried canberries
- ¼ cup scallions thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil chopped
- Celtic sea salt and pepper to taste.
- 1½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic minced
- Preheat oven to 425℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the cubed sweet potatoes evenly on the baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast until slightly golden and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa and add it to a saucepan along with the broth.
- Bring to a boil on medium heat. Then reduce heat and let the quinoa simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. When it is ready, it will be tender and the germ ring of the grain will be visible.
- In a large bowl combine, the roasted sweet potato, quinoa, cranberries, scallions, cilantro, and basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, syrup, lemon juice, vinegar, and garlic. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or cold.